Back to School!

Boomer! 

I moved to Houston right after graduation and have been here since, working for a natural gas company. Like many of my peers after graduation, I couldn’t fathom a scenario where I’d ever want to go back to school and endure that again, at least in the short term. However, time has passed, homework wounds have healed, test anxiety has faded, and I forgot all the reasons why I shouldn’t go back and learn some more.





So here I am, in the middle of my second semester of graduate school while also working full-time. I chose to get a business degree this time to fill in some education gaps that I have. I felt it might broaden my horizons and better equip me for a promotion or industry change, should those opportunities arise in the future. I wanted to share a few of the things I considered in case you, too, are considering another degree.



Research your degree options and how much a graduate program will cost. Even state schools have a wide range of costs that can be an initial shock to the system. Also, if you are currently employed, check to see if your company offers any sort of educational reimbursement and start a conversation with your boss – will they help support you through this process? A smart boss will ask “How will this benefit the company?” Some companies even give educational assistance for part-time employees (a nice bonus if you take on a high demand program or have other commitments at home!).




You’ll need to decide how this investment will actually benefit you. What are your career development goals? Do you feel there is enough time in your schedule? What might you have to sacrifice, financially and socially, in order to take one or two courses during each semester (a part-time graduate program can usually be completed between 2 and 4 years)? Is it worthwhile to leave your job and become a full-time student again?





If you’ve decided to go back to school, you have probably considered an online program. Personally, I’m taking online classes right now and that works for me. It’s definitely more flexible (and tends to be less expensive) but you do miss out on that face-to-face networking experience with professors and classmates. Also, online classes can provide an extra layer of challenge when that attendance accountability is removed – it happens to the best of us.





Is everyone getting an MBA? It kind of feels like that, I know. But I don’t think that makes it any less valuable to you and your future. Plus, there are so many graduate programs out there, an MBA is not the only choice at all. Many of you, I’m sure, still want to dive deeper into engineering or perhaps a more management-based track – that’s awesome!



The hardest part is getting started. I struggled a tad letting go of some “me” time and put those hours to productive use instead. To my surprise, school is no longer my top priority (good news: there is stress relief that comes with this). Academic success is still very important, but my main job now is my actual job, the one that makes money, and is no longer the “job” of getting that engineering degree. Most importantly, be honest with yourself about your priorities and your direction will become clearer.





Author: Carolyn Arnes, Environmental Engineering '15
Connect with Carolyn on Linkedin!



Comments

Popular Posts