I hear 22 is the new 2.

Once I graduated and joined the working world, I suddenly found myself with a lot of extra time on my hands. What to do if you aren't spending weeknights (and weekends!) studying? Here are some suggestions:

Find a new hobby

Use your newfound time to pick up something you’ve always wanted to do, but could never fit in with your school schedule. Having long envied other girls who started dance classes as soon as they could walk, I decided 22 was the new 2 - Once I started work, I did some quick Google searches and joined adult classes at a nearby dance studio. I started with one class a week, and now I take two techniques a week. For me, picking up something entirely new was a nice dovetail with this new chapter in my life. Bonus points if the activity gets you outside or meeting new people; recreational sports leagues, rock climbing, archery, cooking classes... the possibilities are endless!

Reconnect with an old hobby.

Moving somewhere new can be daunting, so it’s helpful to have a common thread between your old college life and what you do with your free time in a new city. Reconnecting with an old hobby can help provide some stability. Since engineering classes don’t give you that many opportunities to flex your literature muscles, I participated in several Honors College book clubs while at OU. Once I left college, I missed debating authors’ motives, metaphors, and prose. I was also looking to meet a more artsy set than I’d find at work, so I sought out a book club. It’s refreshing to exercise a different part of my brain, and I like continuing what was one of my favorite extracurricular at OU. I met some great people too!


Serve!


Nothing is better to fill your free time than serving your community! If your company sponsors volunteer initiatives, join in. Many engineering organizations have alumni chapters, so that is also a great way to get involved. I am fortunate that my company has a special focus on STEM education, which is one of my personal passions - In the past year I’ve helped fourth graders discover non-Newtonian fluids, judged several science fairs, and been a timekeeper in a NSBE SEEK robot competition. I love knowing that I am part of inspiring the next generation of scientists and engineers. Find a cause that speaks to you and give some of your time!








Author: Shirly-Luz Enombo, Chemical Engineering '16
Shirly is too busy for Social Media! Follow OUYEA on Instagram.




Comments

Popular Posts