Danke Schoen, Wayne Newton!

If you would have asked me 10 years ago when I was graduating from OU if I was interested in living abroad, I would have said “No way – It’s not for me!”

I grew up in Norman, Oklahoma and went to OU for the dual degree program – Industrial Engineering BS and MBA. I moved to Houston after graduation and thought this was a major leap for me personally! Despite my initial fears, Houston ended up being a truly a great experience. It’s where I began my career, it’s where I met my husband, and it’s what eventually led me to here – Mannheim, Germany.


My husband and I moved to Mannheim nineteen months ago on an expat contract for my job. I was presented with an opportunity to take a more strategic role at my company’s corporate headquarters in Germany. At first, I was super nervous about the idea of living so far away from home – from our family, from our friends. I didn’t know a lick of German – heck, based on the way Ferris Bueller (or really, Wayne Newton) sings “Danke Schoen,” I didn’t even know how to say “thank you” correctly in German.      


Now that I am more than halfway through my three-year contract in Germany, I can say this is one of the best decisions I’ve made in my career and in my life.

Sure, this has not been easy by any means. We’ve had our share of ups and downs. There are many times I feel like crawling under a rock – like every time I go to the grocery store! Here in Germany, the cashier likes to throw your food down the conveyor belt as fast as she can, making you scramble to bag your own groceries while she asks you questions in German, and people in line behind you are waiting for you to move out of their way.

I’m still terrible at German, but I think I’ve grasped enough now to not be so embarrassed, and shut down every time I encounter another human being.


There are also a lot of great things about living in Germany, like the sausages, the beer, and the holidays! In all seriousness, I have also experienced a great working environment. My coworkers were very supportive helping us adjust to the big move.

I find the people I have met here to be hard workers. They are very productive – as you can see from the success of their economy over the years. At the same time, I believe Germans also have a greater respect for work-life balance. I have been able to use my (plentiful) vacation to travel to many different countries, taking full advantage of living in the middle of Europe surrounded by so many different cultures and so much history.

Technology also makes it much easier to stay connected with home. Through Facetime and WhatsApp, we can talk to our family and friends and not feel so far away. We have also found several ways to watch college football (thank goodness!) – though sometimes we are up into the early morning hours waiting for a win.

My company’s CEO (also an American, now living in Germany) told me early on in my assignment here, that it’s hard at first, but you will notice when you go back to the US after living abroad that somethings at home will begin to feel backward. You will realize you have changed and grown as a person.

I think he was spot on. What may be the norm I am used to, is not the norm others are used to. I think having an experience abroad makes people more open-minded and understanding of other cultures and maybe even more critical of their own culture. This translates both in personal life and in work life.


With that said, my advice to you for your professional and personal growth – Go Abroad! Live abroad, travel abroad, immerse yourself in other cultures. Coming from someone who was quite comfortable with life in the US and fearful to live too far from home, take the challenge. You’ll be a better person for it.



Author: Mary Schanne, ISE & MBA '08
Follow Mary on Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts