The Transition to #Corporate

It will be coming up on 4 years since I walked the stage and shook Dean Landers’ hand. Post-graduation, I started working for a large, global Fortune 500 company. The transition into the working world is different for each person and for each company based on your expectations and the company’s culture. However, I wanted to share the top 5 surprises (“learnings”) from my transition into such a large corporation…



1.  You cannot walk downstairs for help setting up your computer.

Why? The IT help desk is not located in your building. In fact, not even in the same continent. Instead, you need to pick up the phone. Which is problematic when you don’t know the area code required to dial an external phone number. 


2.  You might not actually know what group you work for.

My offer letter said I was the Global Retail Support Analyst. On Day 1, I told everyone I worked in Global Retail as a Support Analyst. Later I found out I worked in Global Retail Support as an Analyst. (At least the other new hires were making equally laughable mistakes.)

3.  The first thing you need to do is look at the org chart.

When I first met each new manager, they would ask if I’ve seen the organizational structure chart and use this as the tool to explain their role in the company. It’s important to know who you’re reporting to. #boss  

4.  You need to get your favorite pens ordered.

The cost of anything business related is covered by the company. Do you have a favorite pen, planner, or sticky note set that will help you work your best? Done. Put extra effort into meeting the administrative assistant who will be able to help you out. Now and in the future when you need to book a last-minute meeting room.

5.  Make sure you remember where you parked.

Otherwise it’ll be a long night searching through the multiple levels and garages.

Author: Sarah Yung, ISE 2014
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent ExxonMobil's positions or opinions.

Follow Sarah on instagram!


Comments

Popular Posts